Well ladies and gents, I am ECSTATIC to say that I've beaten the funk. How you ask? Prayer. Lots and Lots of prayer & meditation! Yea folks, it really works. One of my favorite songs that has helped is Jeremy Camp's "Walk by Faith", because it couldn't have been more true for my life the last few months. While I still miss my grandma like crazy, I am at ease knowing that she is with the Lord and with my grandpa once again. I have started running again (training for the mini marathon!) and I have been cooking & so much more and coming up with some yummy recipes which I will be sharing with you all. OH and my house has been spotless too just incase I grossed you out about living in filth (although I wasn't really, my fabulous fiance took care of everything when I wasn't feeling up to it!).
I am also SO excited for the new class of Bridging the Wellness Gap. This past weeked was the initial testing and I am so hopeful for what the future holds for these recruits. AMAZING THINGS ARE IN STORE! If you don't know what I'm talking about you can visit the website http://bridgingthewellnessgap.wordpress.com/ .
Anyway, let's cut to the chase. This is my new favorite way to eat tacos. Period. I am not taking ANY credit for this recipe, though. I got the idea from Stacy at my gym, Circle City Strength and Conditioning, who told me that she makes a sweet potato taco packet with black beans and other ingredients. But I was extremely intrigued by her idea of having sweet potato and tacos on the same plate, so I tried it.
If you haven't discovered the beauty of a sweet potato, you are seriously missing out. Most people only know sweet potatoes as a side to Thanksgiving dinner, smothered in butter and brown sugar. Well my friends, these little gems can do SO MUCH MORE than that. If you're curious you can google other recipes or you can stay tuned for upcoming blog posts :]
- 1 medium sweet potato per mouth you are feeding
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 small-medium sized onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- taco seasoning (My fav is Trader Joe's brand)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (you can get the one with green chiles for an extra kick if you like)
- 1 tbsp sour cream (if you go for that)
- Cook your sweet potato. How you do this is up to you. I think that the easiest way is to pierce it a few times with a fork, wrap it in a damp paper towel and put it in the microwave for 6-7 minutes. You could also bake it in the oven, but this takes about 45 min-1 hour.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet on medium and throw in the diced onion, garlic and peppers and cook until onions are translucent. Add your ground beef/turkey and cook through.
- Add diced tomatoes & taco seasoning and let cook together for about 10-15 minutes.
- When sweet potato is done cooking, slice it open on your plate and mash it up.
- Pour taco meat mixture over the top of the sweet potato, top with a dollop of sour cream & EAT YOUR HEART OUT