Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hot n Spicy Paleo Meatloaf....and Running.

MAN it's been too long since my last blog post. I have been such a little busy bee lately. I just recently started a new job, which I absolutely LOVE. My previous job was a 45+ minute commute each way, and now I work just 5 minutes down the road with AWESOME hours! I'm done everyday by 2:30, how cool is that? So since I have all this new free time, I decided that I needed to pick up another hobby. Who in the hell would have ever guessed that hobby would be running? NOT me that's for sure! I started this whole running thing when I began Bridging the Wellness Gap, and since then it has just taken off. I started at just going 1-2 miles once or twice a week, and here I am now signed up for a half marathon in March. WHO AM I?

I love the way that running makes me feel. Well, after the runner's high kicks in that is. Until then it kind of sucks. The first two miles are always so hard for me and then after that I get lost in my own euphoric state of mind where nothing bothers me. Nothing stresses me out. I get a sense of satisfaction that I have control over my well being and I feel so alive! Now, I'm not saying that I go out and run 10 miles every day. or ever. But I have found that 5-6 miles a few times a week is just what I need to stay sane and it helps keep my mindfulness on track.

ANYWAY, enough about that. Let's get to the food.

When I was younger, I HATED when my mom made meatloaf. I don't even know why. Maybe it just had something to do with the name. Meatloaf. Something about that just sounded un appetizing... in my PRE paleo days, that is. Now that I'm a meat-atarian (yes, I just made that word up), I can't get enough. Sometimes I feel like the dog on the Beggin Strips commerical... like "BACOOONNNNN!!!! BACON BACON BACON BACON I SMELL BACONN!!!". It's that bad.

I just compared myself to a dog....................oh well.

So I set out to make a meatloaf, with no specific recipe in mind. it couldn't be THAT hard, right? I mean it's just a bunch of meat...in a pan... So I literally just threw a bunch of stuff together and this is what I got. Now the ingredients list is a bit long, but seriously don't let it scare you! This was so easy to make. Obviously I got a little spice happy so you can add or omit any of them that you like to make it more or less spicy.  Kyle and I just love spicy food so that's why I went a little crazy but I love the way that it turned out! Kyle thought it was amazing, and I asked him if it was the best meatloaf he had ever had. His response: "It was delicious, but it wasn't as good as my Nana makes it". Now, if his Nana wasn't one of the most precious, sweetest, kindest little lady's that I have ever met, and  really didnt make some damn good meatloaf, then he might have been thrown in the Dog House after that comment. I decided to let this one slide.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground turkey (or beef, your choice)
  • 1 lb ground pork sausage
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 tbsp almond flour
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup hot saunce, I used Franks
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • salt & pepper
  1. Set your oven at 400 degrees
  2. Heat up a skillet with some Olive oil and toss in your green pepper, onion, and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine meat, egg, flour, tomato paste, hot sauce, and spices. Mix well
  4. Once veggies are done in the skillet, add them to the bowl and stir to incorporate.
  5. Transfer meat mixture to an 8x5 loaf pan, and bake uncovered for approx 45-50 minutes, until no longer pink on the inside.
  6.  Have your glass of water ready because this stuff is spiiiiccyyyy, but absolutely DELISH! Sorry no picture, but everyone knows what meatloaf looks like. Or atleast I hope you do. If not just picture a loaf of bread.....made out of meat.
HAPPY COOKING :]

No comments:

Post a Comment