Tonight was just one of those nights to be snuggled up on the couch watching Christmas specials (Saturday Night Live Christmas to be exact) in front of the Christmas tree with a fire going. And fuzzy socks. And bassett hounds. and my boyfrind. Oh and wine. Cant forget that. If you're having a hard time picturing this let me show you...
This is happening right now. Be jealous.
Along with this cozy day comes cozy food. What better cozy food than tomato soup???? I set out to find a homemade tomato soup because my days of eating shit out of a can are long gone. Homemade soup is 100000000x better tasting and better for you anyway. I came across this website http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2012/08/homemade-tomato-basil-soup-recipe.html and thought that it sounded delicious. I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand so I kind of took her idea and ran with it and this is the soup I came up with. It was SOO GOOOD, it made the "best soup i've ever had" category by kyle, which is huge because his family is full of awesome cooks! This is one of those recipes that even the non-paleo eaters will go nuts over. trust me.
- 5-6 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 green or red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sized onion, cut into chunks
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, cut into chunks
- 1/2 bag baby carrots, coined (you could use 3 full sized carrots but I didnt have any)
- handful of spinach
- 2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 2 tsp -ish basil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Set your oven to 375. While that is preheating, cut up your tomatoes, onion, pepper, garlic, zucchini and carrots and spread them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle some olive oil over the top and sprinkle with basil, salt, & pepper. Place in the oven and let roast, it took about 25-30 minutes but keep an eye on it.
2. While those are roasting, heat the chicken broth, paprika & pepper on low in a large pot.
3. When the veggies are done roasting, add them all to a blender along with the handful of fresh spinach and blend together. I left mine a little bit chunky but you can blend until smooth if you like.
3. Add tomato mixture to broth and stir together. Cook on medium for a few minutes and then stir in butter and milk. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4. Serve hot
I made kyle a grilled cheese to eat with his but I cut up half of an avocado and added that to mine. It was ABSOLUTELY DELISH. I know I say this about all of my recipes but seriously this one is a MUST try! Especially for those cozy winter nights :]